Preparing to Apply
Your application will be submitting through AppyTexas.org, but before you go there, please review admission criterial. Admission is based on:
- undergraduate and graduate grades
- scores on the Verbal, Quantitative, and Writing portions of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- letters of recommendation from teachers, employees, or supervisors that are familiar with the student’s academic potential
- prior research experience
- work samples or other evidence of academic promise.
The Admission Committee also examines the fit between applicant’s goals and the goals of the program.
Admissions decisions are made by the Graduate Admissions Committee on the basis of review of each applicant’s particular profile of strengths. Admitted students have different profiles. Some, for example, have extremely high test scores or grade point averages; others bring unusually strong prior research experience. Deadline for Fall 2020 applications is July 15, 2020. All applications are reviewed on a rolling basis when completed.
Educational Requirements for Admission
Admission requirements to the Graduate School and the Nutritional Sciences Graduate Program are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in a nutrition-related field from an accredited United States institution or proof of equivalent training outside the United States.
- A grade point average of at least 3.00 in upper-division work (junior- and senior-level courses) and in any completed graduate work.
- A satisfactory score on a graduate level entrance exam such as the GRE or MCAT.
- A satisfactory score (minimum score of 79 required) on the TOEFL exam for international students. For more information, please see UT Austin’s requirements for International Students support page.
- Applicants should have an extensive background in nutrition or related sciences. Level of knowledge will be assessed by review of students completed coursework. See below for a list of courses that are recommended for completion before applying to the online MSNS program.
The Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) recommends that applicants who do not have a bachelor’s degree in a science field complete the courses below prior to applying for admission to our program:
- Introductory Nutrition
- Human Physiology
- Organic Chemistry* and Laboratory (*Required)
- Biochemistry* and Laboratory (*Required)
Deadline for applications is July 15, 2020.
Submit applications by July 15 for admission for the Fall 2020 semester. Students who do not hold a B.S. degree in a nutrition-related field, please see list of prerequisite courses above.
1 Apply to the Graduate School at The University of Texas at Austin
Applications are submitted electronically through ApplyTexas.
- Create an account or log-in if you already have one.
- Select Create a New Application.
- Select, Create a new graduate school admissions application.
- In the Target University, you choose University of Texas at Austin (Austin).
- In the type of application, choose the most appropriate option,
- Select Fall (Aug-Dec) 2020 for the semester of entry.
- Scroll down to Natural Sciences and select Nutritional Sciences Option III (Online Masters Program).
- Continue on with the application.
- The application requires the names and email addresses of three individuals who will serve as References. They will receive an email with a link to upload a reference letter.
- Include a Statement of Purpose about your background and interest in nutrition.
- Include a current Resume.
- Pay Application Fee. Your application is not complete until the fee is paid.
Pay the application fee of $65 online or through the Admissions Center.
2 Submit Transcripts from All Colleges and Universities Attended.
After you have submitted your application you will receive an email that contains a link to the Status Check website where you will be able to upload additional documentation including transcripts, personal statement, and resume. When uploading transcripts, upload PDF copies of official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities you have attended. If you are offered admission, you will be required to have official transcripts sent to the University of Texas Graduate Admissions and International Center. This can be done via posted mail or through Parchment. No other online transcript submission services are approved for use at UT Austin. For more information, see Graduate Admissions.
3 Send Test Scores
Send official GRE scores to UT Austin
Reference UT Austin code: 6882, no department code is necessary. Educational Testing Service will send scores. Attach other graduate or professional entrance exam scores as a supplemental document.
Send official MCAT, PCAT, OAT, or DAT scores
Upload other graduate-level professional exam results as a supplemental document. If believe that you are eligible for a GRE waiver, please contact email@example.com directly to confirm your eligibility. If you are eligible, the MSNS Director will submit a waiver request to the graduate school after completion of the rest of the application.
Send official TOEFL or IELTS scores (required for International students)
Reference UT Austin code: 6882.
ETS should send your test scores to:
Graduate and International Admissions Center
The University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 7608
Austin, Texas 78713-7608
If you hold bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution or from an institution in another English-only speaking country, you will receive a waiver of the TOEFL. For more information about TOEFL scores and graduate admission visit the graduate admission page.
All application materials received by the Admissions Center will be available to the Nutritional Sciences Admissions Committee.
4 Review Status and Upload Additional Documents
Visit MyStatus to monitor reference requests, upload your curriculum vitae or resume, submit additional items such as publications, resend a request, add a new recommender, and revise your FERPA waiver.
Visit financial aid at UT Austin for more information.
Department of Nutritional Sciences
University of Texas at Austin
School of Human Ecology
103 W. 24th St., Stop A2703
Austin, Texas 78712